Monday, February 21, 2011

Would an attitude adjustment help you?

Congratulations to Kay who won the Fitness Tracker!  She guessed 8:15 a.m. and the exact time was 8:44 a.m.  Way to go!
My swimming suit locked
to the outside of the locker to dry.


Now to this weeks topic . . .


Is a bad attitude about exercise or eating healthy keeping you from reaching your fitness goals?  I know I have been guilty of this.  I have looked on it as a burden to exercise. I have sometimes viewed eating less or more healthily as a deprivation.  Look at your own negative views about healthy behaviors and try and analyze them for what they really are.  Are they based in reality?

Let's pick apart my bad attitudes.  Is exercise really a burden?  I am always happy when I am done, so why did I sometimes dread it? It may be one of those things that is good for you that when you stop fighting about it, you can actually enjoy it. Some good examples are scripture study, eating right and exercise.
Exercise has become my outlet.  It seriously keeps me (mostly) sane.  I can handle things better.  I have more energy.  I feel better about myself.  Shifting my thinking from exercise being a burden, to exercise being my "time out" and time I look forward to to take care of myself has made all the difference in the world.

Eating healthy.  I am still working on that one, but I have come a long way.  Fresh fruits and vegetables really make your body feel better than a big greasy meal like a burger and fries, don't they?  Why do we fight it?  How do you want to feel after you eat?  I have decided I do better when I eat my veggies first.  Sometimes when I don't, I am full before I get to them and they feel left out :( .  Shift your thinking to eating healthy is something to strive for, not something to dread.  Find ways to make it work for you.

Another thing I do that I know can be a big problem sometimes for others to is stress or boredom eat.  Does it solve the problem?  Really?  It has helped me just to realize I do it and to stop myself and think.  What is really bugging me?  Do I need to talk with someone, write in my journal, scream in my pillow or hug a tree instead?  Those things may actually help me deal with what I am feeling (except maybe the tree part, but it would at least get me outside!)  Deal with your feelings.  Acknowledge and feel them head on instead of trying to bury them with food.  It is OK to feel lonely sometimes.  It makes us appreciate having good people who love us around, like at church!

Send me those goals.  Shift your thinking if you need to and get healthier this week!

2 comments:

  1. you're an inspiration momma! i'm joining your fitness club!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you like it! Anyone in our group that gets healthier between now and May 20th gets to go to our sleepover party at a cabin owned by my friend from church. It would be fun if you went!

    ReplyDelete